Get Into the Spirit and Celebrate
Holidays at the Hunter
November 25 to Jan. 2, 2012
In the 1960s and 1970s, the Hunter Museum of American Art ushered in the holiday season by showcasing Christmas trees inspired by holiday traditions from around the world. Those decorations were created by an active group of volunteers. Many Chattanooga residents still have fond memories of visiting the Hunter during the holidays—one of the city’s first holiday inspired events.
The museum pays homage to that tradition with Holidays at the Hunter. Now in its fifth year, visitors can enjoy Holidays at the Hunter from Nov. 25 until Jan. 2, 2012. Holidays at the Hunter will showcase trees decorated by some of Chattanooga’s top designers and florists including Making Arrangements, Divine Design, the Bessie Smith Cultural Center, Blue Ivy Flowers, Shadowbox, 4th Graders from Battle Academy.
In addition, Holidays at the Hunter features activities for everyone, from special events and holiday shopping at the Museum Store to the Museum’s popular FREE First Sundays.
Holidays at the Hunter Events:
- Friday, Nov. 25: Holidays at the Hunter Members Program, 6-8 p.m. Celebrate the holidays with your Hunter family surrounded by extraordinary trees created by local designers. Enjoy time in the galleries, seasonal crafts, warm drinks and treats and view the brightly lit boat parade from one of the best views in the city. Open to Hunter members and their guests, $10/adult, $5/children. Reserve tickets by calling 423.267.0968.
- Each Day Nov. 25 – Jan. 2 during regular Museum hours: Stroll the Hunter galleries, explore the Mansion and enjoy holiday trees and decorations. Shop at the Museum Store for great gifts.
- Thursday, Dec. 1, 6 p.m. Hunter Happens: Holidays at the Hunter Presents The Little MatchStick Girl Celebrate the holiday season with the classic film, The Little Match Stick Girl. In this special screening and live performance, we welcome back audience favorite violin and accordion duo Cricket & Snail to perform musical accompaniment to this silent film.
- Sunday, Dec. 4 Free First Sunday, 12-5 p.m. Bring your family for a free day of gallery exploration and holiday music.
- Thursday, Dec. 8 String Theory at the Hunter 5:30 p.m. pre concert talk, 6:30 p.m concert Begin the holiday season with a special gallery talk led by Tom Wolf, the Artistic Director for Bay Chamber Concerts in Maine and Hunter Chief Curator Ellen Simak. Then enjoy the chamber music of DiLorenzo, Ravel and Brahms.
- Thursday, Dec. 15 Tour of the Trees, 6 p.m. Join the talented designers and florists to hear more about the extraordinary trees that are currently featured in our galleries. This is a great chance to enjoy the beauty of the season and also finish up some last-minute holiday shopping in the Museum Store.
Holiday Hours for 2011/2012:
- Saturday, Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve): Museum closes at 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 25 (Christmas Day): Museum closed.
- Saturday, Dec. 31 (New Year's Eve): Museum closes at 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012 (New Year's Day): Museum closed--no FREE First Sunday.
Support provided by BB&T - Huffaker and Trimble.